Saturday, September 1, 2012

Essay #1

My definition of arete is excellence and making good character. I think the ancient Greek demonstrated this quality because they came up with the type of government called democracy which we still use today. This government let any citizen say what they needed to and let them express how they feel about the issue or idea that they are talking about. Creating this type of government was a very big part of history. I think this demonstrates how the Greeks made good character. I also think Socrates is a demonstration of this definition too. Socrates would walk around helping the young people figure out their problems. I think this is a great example of good character. He also stood up for what he believed in even if he had to die. This is also a great example of good character. He is showing young people to stand up for what they believe in even if it means there is a consequence.

1 comment: